Monday, January 31, 2022

Got Sidetracked Already Today

Small project Sunday: Jim just completed a puzzle with quilt blocks in it....

Puzzle by Cobble Hill
I want to create said puzzle into some type of quilt. We want to hang both of them below the "QUILT" sign heading into the studio so the quilt I want to make won't be huge. I'm not even (na uh, no way) going to try to piece something that small, so I'm going to do it artistically.

Here's the beginning of what I'm planning on doing...

Look at all those markings
I was going to thread paint the "blocks" but decided to ditch everything first, Ink-tense the blocks in their respective colors, and then, IF NEEDED, quilt each block accordingly on my sit down machine. 

Drawing and figuring all those blocks took longer than I had anticipated but it looks kinda cool. I have the "sashings" already ditched and now on to funner things in it tonight.

On the frame this morning is this top...

New Quilter; Old Problems
So, as I'm loading, I'm identifying lack of border measuring, but not to any earth shattering extreme. However, there are some things I am going to have to keep an eye on while quilting. There is NO extra backing on the sides, which makes me wonder what's going to happen when I get to the bottom despite using only about 1/2" on the top to baste in (I usually use around 2"). The back is pieced, but the center section is cotton and the borders are flannel, causing "drape" on the side sections.

A little quilt detail
I've already started working this one this morning (thus the sidetracking mentioned above) just to see where I stand with it, and to try to get it done quickly for the customer who made this for her mom...for Christmas. Ooops. I should be able to get through it today if other distractions don't present themselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Signs

I need to get a sign up designating where the door to Quilting at the Lake lives now. That way I don't have to "greet" people ...