Saturday, February 9, 2019

Panel Quilt

I didn't know if I would be able to participate in this weeks challenge. Here in central, northern Michigan we have received quite the weather situation. Not that weather directly impacts a quilter, but it does have factors affecting how much cam be accomplished when power is lost.

I was a little leery to begin anything because after having severe storms to include sleet, then freezing rain, and then a dump in temps, and then 40 mph winds, we were certainly going to lose power. We live on a dead-end road and our power would have been one of the last restored in the area should this situation have happened.

But yesterday, after an almost three-day ugly weather event, the sun came out again. The winds started to calm, and the race was on to get something done. What I had planned in my head just wasn't going to happen in two days. Now the search for a project.

I found a panel in my stash while rifling through to locate some quick inspiration. I've had it for a while and never really had any plans for it. Because I was in such a rush to complete everything I didn't even take time to get many pics while feverishly wielding the rotary cutter, the iron, and the long arm.

Here was the panel roughly being created into something.

Making something out of a found panel
My husband delivers propane and is on-call for the next week. He had to head to bed rather early last night because he was scheduled to work again today. I certainly could not long arm while he was in the loft catching some Z's. So the long arming commenced today.

Some of the quilting detail
Despite having to have to finish my grandsons Fire Engine quilt (the rule is to get the binding on the quilt just taken off the long arm before another can be loaded)...

Tristan's Fire Engine quilt (had to be finished before getting this one put on the frame).

...and despite having to chop 1" of ice off all of our decks, I was able to get the quilt off and on the long arm before the sun set today. I machine bound it during the Spartan basketball game (a great husband babysitter) and here's the finished project.


The finished piece. Still haven't named it yet.
It measures 59" x 70" so the size requirements are certainly met. 


3 comments:

  1. Like your entry. And Hazel is adorable. I had to scroll down to figure out what kind of cutie she is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting way to expand a panel. Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the panel and what you did to it! that fire engine quilt too- so adorable! Glad you made it work!

    ReplyDelete

Thread Changes

A lot of long armers out there won't change threads. You pick one (or they will for you) and that's the color thread you get through...