Monday, March 4, 2019

C is for Colette

I collect C's in my studio. I have them nearly every where.







But I found a wall that didn't have a C on it, and decided to do something saved in my "projects" bag for this challenge. The first step was to get out the selvedge bag. These selvedges have been being collected for a few years now. Members of my guild downstate found out I needed/wanted them and started bringing them in by the bags full.

Bag-O-Selvedges

Straightening the Selvedges
I needed to sort through them and find ones long enough for this project, as well as iron them, since they clearly weren't kept neat.

Sewing them down on a scrap piece of fabric
I drew a few registration lines on my scrap fabric to make sure I was staying relatively straight while sewing the selvedges down. Selvedges of length have a tendency to bow and this is a way to keep things a little more under control.

A finished piece of fabric
Once I had my selvedge "fabric" done, I had to make the letter. And I suck at free hand drawing. I mean, I can barely trace anything. And of course, the letter I found to make was not a closed letter, but one of several pieces. Once that was constructed last night, I started right back in this morning.

Slap-La-Quilt
I have a friend downstate that calls quilting, while doing appliqué, Slaplaquilt. I didn't just rely on my appliqué work to hold the whole thing together, but added some more straight lines over the already pieced selvedges.

And here's the finished 14"x14" end result.

C is for Colette
This was fun. It's something I've been wanting to do for some time now, and it was quick, which is good since I have three customer quilts to get done before leaving a week from tomorrow to head to Utah (hello Handi Quilter!). 

5 comments:

  1. Super selvage project. I've started to work with selvages too for PQ this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. I scrolled down and am blown away by your zebra quilt. That is wonderful also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is gorgeous! I love the C ;) My daughter Capri will love it too when I show her ;)

    ReplyDelete

Happy Sunny Monday

All the little spring things are starting to bloom and awaken from their winters slumber. It's nice seeing some other colors than brown ...