Friday, November 8, 2019

Quilting Marathon

The second of three customer quilts that were dropped off last Saturday is now complete. The hope is to get number three loaded and basted in before having to take Hazel off to the vet for her annual check-up/Bordatella (sp?) vaccine. And I was called into work after Hazels appointment is finished.

Hmmm???
Let's talk about measuring our borders, shall we? This is what happens when you don't. The fix was doable, but could have been avoided. It's become a bit of a pet peeve of mine for my own quilts.

I was taught to measure borders when I first started quilting. Then laziness set in and I pretty much stopped because it takes time. You just want the darn top finished and slapping on these borders is the last stretch before starting another fun project. Right?

Then I started long arming those quilts whose borders I didn't measure. The above situation is what ensues. This is a mild case. I've seen much worse on my own quilts as well as customer quilts.

Take the time to find your centers of your tops and get those borders eased in people. Seriously. It's not that much more effort to do it and it'll make everybody's life easier in the end. I could soap box this at a much greater rate, but I'll stop for now.

Needless to say, I ALWAYS measure my borders now and long arming them is much more pleasurable. The look of a nicely done quilt is always preference to one that has pleats and tucks on all the sides of a beautiful center.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Family

Ya can't pick family can ya? A very disconcerting conversation with my father yesterday left me in kind of  a funk. It's a good thin...