Tuesday, September 10, 2024

Pieced Backs

By pieced back I don't mean just joining two large chunks of fabric together to make a larger chunk. Todays discussion is about backs that have patchwork in them. This particular back is a large chain of 2 1/2" blocks along the width of the backing. Twice. 

Here's what's happening as I load it...

See all those pleats?
If I know quilt making as well as I think I do, the resulting tucks and puckers are the result of the blue fabric (the large piece) being placed below the patchwork segment when it went through her sewing machine. 

I'm working to get these out through frame ironing and spritzing heavily on the seam line. Hopefully this will be enough to rectify this situation.

While working this backing on DW, I'm quilting Kathy's quilt on Bernie. Here's some of the quilting going into it...

Ruler work and free motion

I love the flying geese sashing/filler blocks
I'll be doing much of the same today. The back will be frame ironed by days end today and I'll have everything loaded and ready to go for the Pro Stitcher tomorrow. 

Linda stopped by yesterday to drop off another one of hers, although this isn't as time sensitive as most of her others. I have a new customer coming tomorrow who was referred to me to do some art quilting. Bernadette is pleased as punch her UofM quilt is done already. So am I!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Full Moon

The moon is so cool. And viewing it over one of our great lakes as it rises for the night is even cooler.  Moon over Lake Huron I think this...