Wednesday, May 29, 2019

T-Shirt Quilt

My wonderful neighbor to our north has asked me to make a t-shirt quilt for her daughter. They helped us so much on our barn last fall and we have obtained left over landscape blocks from them, it'll be like a barter trade for my making it. I hope.

Some of the pile I was given to work with
Trimming "the fat" off the shirt
Squaring the block
The interfaced pile ready for audition
A special insert
The first half
This quilt is going to be larger than my design wall. Construction will be done in two parts and the pic above is part 1. I don't make t-shirt quilts like most. Most want you to select a divisible number (4, 5, or 6) to trim the t-shirts to so blocks go together well.

Because I feel like randomness in a t-shirt quilt gives it a little more visual esthetics, I like to build my blocks to the divisible number AFTER they are trimmed with a 1/2" border around the motif of the t-shirt.

And the neighbor included her referee shirt to try to incorporate into the quilt. I'm going to try to get it in there, but it may not happen after construction actually begins.

Auditioning several colors of sashing and picking Katies brain on her thoughts, we decided the red grunge would pull out most all of the t-shirt colors.

Red it is
I've texted to make sure this is an okay color to go with prior to going out and purchasing more. I only have a fat quarter in my stash and it's not going to do all the bordering needed here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ever Wonder?

I am thankful every day for the life I have. I'm truly blessed to have the greatest family and friends... Missing Andrew who had to take...