Monday, September 18, 2023

Zero Piecing, Zero Quilting

Not one thread was put into fabric this weekend. Instead, screws, nails, wood, sheet metal, and a lot of caulk was used to prepare for fabricology in the future. 

Here's a few pics of this weekends construction progress...

Getting the last of the roof boards on. Ben and Caleb being themselves.
We had a weird cut in the section Ben is nearest and it took a while to get everything fit in. Ben and I had gotten most of the rest of the roof boards on before Caleb and Lia arrived that morning.
Starting after lunch to get the metal on.

Friday pretty much ended here. 
So now the west side (save for that little flappy piece) is done. The dew started falling early and we still had to clean up for the day and a decision to save the east side for Saturday was made. 

Then Alisha got a text from her mother and they announced Ben and family would be leaving late morning on Saturday. Meaning, we only had Ben for a few hours for that east side. 

I was done being on the roof. My body was telling me I'm not 20 (or even 40) anymore. And I hadn't been sleeping well all weekend so I wasn't on my A game. Lia volunteered to get up there and she and Caleb finished the east side and even got the ridge cap set in. They also helped move the windows from the workshop in the garage into the new studio structure to get ready to be placed in. 

We have AWESOME kids!

Once we bid them farewell (they have a life too and needed to take off mid-afternoon) Jim and I continued on with the wrapping. Here's where we left off on Saturday night...

East side

 West side
At some point, Caleb asked what was on my birthday list for this year. "You're covered Caleb and Ben!" Their manual labor and know-how is birthday wish granted!

Jim can handle most all the other little details needed to be done without me except maybe closing in the gable end. I'll need to help raising up the wood I suspect.

So, back to a regular long arm week and I'll be starting with getting Nancy's quilt done hopefully. I'm not loading anything else onto DW for a day or so or I'll be tempted to put Nancy's Witches on hold.  

The one thing I am bummed about is my inability to get to AQS Grand Rapids. Once again. But honestly, I don't have a pressing need for any quilting supplies at the moment. It's a long trip. Gas isn't cheap. And I was needed here to deal with construction stuff for MY new studio. It's only fitting I didn't go. But, still bummed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincinnati Bound

Mom and I are heading to Cincinnati today for the weekend. She'll be able to spend Mothers Day weekend with both her kids and see my bro...