Friday, July 1, 2022

What Do You Do?

I understand seaming threads. You know. The threads that peek out from a seam juncture that should have been cut off during the piecing and/or ironing process. But aren't, and now they poke out of the top for the long armer to deal with. 

Because if they aren't trimmed, the quilting looks trashy and so does the quilt itself once it's done. And, the longer threads can get caught on the hopping foot bar (ask me how I know this).

How do I convey to my clients that trimming these is in their best interest and really isn't part of my job. Nowhere, in any of the long arming videos, do ANY of the instructors say, "First trim all threads that poke out, and then ditch around all...". 

I've reached out to a few of my fellow long armers and have asked them about this. They don't seem to have a problem with many threads that are missed. So why am I having this problem? Because it's probably not taught enough (I think instructors assume you should know this) and don't address it with students. 

That's my soapbox today. Sorry. It's just very time consuming, it leaves me liable for a possible fabric slice when/while I'm trimming these threads, and there is also a possibility one of those threads is an actual thread that holds the blocks together. 

Here's what's on the frame today....

Monica's second quilt top
I've actually already started getting the thread in there this morning. She just wants an all over and DW is doing the work. Except, on his second row, decided he was tired and just quit working. I quickly discovered his computer battery was (once again) low, so I'll give that a little bit to charge before I continue. You'd think I'd check this the night before when I'm loading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincinnati Bound

Mom and I are heading to Cincinnati today for the weekend. She'll be able to spend Mothers Day weekend with both her kids and see my bro...