Friday, June 25, 2021

Better Late...

Our morning away-from-home activities resulted in my blogging (much) later than usual. 

All four borders on Town and Country are now prepped.

Four borders waiting to be stitched out
And last night was able to get one of them stitched. Tonight I have stitched border number two. Cruising along!

The quilt on the frame yesterday was the one I WAS sit-down quilting. But, I wanted to do some straight line quilting and I KNEW if I tried to do it on the sit-down machine, one little blip in the quilting would glaringly show itself. 

I basted some leader fabric on the top and bottom of the quilt and attached the quilt onto the long arm; more than one way to skin a rabbit. 

Ingenious way to load an already quilted quilt
Here is some quilting detail of what I wanted to get in there...

A lot of ruler work that would have looked awful from the sit-down attempt
Todays quilt top on the frame is so cute and started working it after lunch. 

Norma's Reindeer top
Here's the challenge with this top...it's not blanket/any other stitched. It's all raw edged and the customer would like me to just get close to the edges and fasten the appliqué in that fashion. Everything started out okay until I got to an eyeball...

DW sucks up an eyeball
This happened multiple times despite my attempt at preventing it. 

Call the customer. 

I suggested, on the small pieces, to permit me to blanket stitch those down (resulting in a larger invoice) and she said she kind of wondered whether this was going to be an issue since she had small pieces coming off on her prior to her even giving it to me. She approved the additional labor. 

I'll get all the background fill put in and the rest of the regular quilting done and then remove it from the frame to do the blanket stitching on those tiny bits left. I'd really like to just blanket stitch everything down for her, but I'm not sure she'd be willing to foot that rather large charge. 

We have finally received a good amount of rain and while we were in desperate need of the moisture, I'm not looking forward to what comes next; mosquitoes. We were virtually without any for the past few weeks and it was extremely welcoming since I'm in charge of the yard this year. But with the rainy day came a wonderful day to shop with hubby this morning, and work in the studio, guilt-free, for the remainder of the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Projects

The new studio is definitely a very long project. We're at 10 months already and still things to be done. He said, when he started the p...