Saturday, November 19, 2022

The Tennessee Quilt is Shipped

Jim and I went last night and shipped out the John Wayne quilt to Tennessee. It should arrive by Tuesday (she needed it by Wednesday). 

Here's what's on DW today...

Jean S.'s top

A closer look at some block detail
This ones going to take some time! Meanwhile, I plan on working on Bernadettes top this morning on Bernie. I'll start Jeans on Monday.

I wanted to show the difference between ditching a quilt and not ditching. Jim asked me why I do ditch and I tried explaining how it leaves the quilt flatter and more finished when it is ditched. 

I've just started to ditch most all quilts as I now realize the significance of doing so. I used to think it was a waste of time and early on in my quilting career, one prominent quilter in the area said, '...she never ditched'. I took that as a license to not to have to do it...and frankly, I've found, it's just being lazy. 

Not ditched
See how the sides are raised and leave a puffiness to them?
Ditched
Now the seams lay flat, they look more finished, and it adds stability to the whole quilt as well as the piecing. 

Since Jim and I went out last night to do errands, we have no place to go this weekend. He's trimming Hazel right now, we both got hair cuts, and Lucy has already had hers while I was bathing Hazel. Spartan football at noon and I'll be out in the studio while he's enjoying his game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincinnati Bound

Mom and I are heading to Cincinnati today for the weekend. She'll be able to spend Mothers Day weekend with both her kids and see my bro...