There are a number of queues we quilters take to identify the time period a quilt was 'born'. I won't get into all of them, but a few obvious clues are the fabrics used within the top, and, yep, how the quilt was quilted.
I can pick out a pre-1980's quilt, a 1980-2000 quilt and something beyond 2000 usually just based on the quilting. And, the quilting can date your 2020's quilt into something more like 1980. Stippling is one of those motifs that, when used as a large all over motif by itself, can date your quilt back to the 80's.
Conversely, if stippling is used on a smaller scale in combination with other motifs, it pushes up the date of the quilt considerably. That was today's lesson.
I bet Ila is dying to know whether her quilt is done. Nope. Too many dumb distractions yesterday. That's the bad news. BUT, all the blocks are done and all that's left to work on Monday are seven sashing strips and the side/bottom border.
More good news is that I did get The Produce Section hung.
| The Produce Section pattern by Elizabeth Hartman |
I did a fireworks block (which was actually five blocks as it was the center section) and then I fired up DW to get the machine oiled, needle changed, bobbin wound, thread set up, basting in, and ditching. I'm ditched as far as I can go in the current space and today I'm hoping to be able to start the 99 strips in 99 days quilt-along.
But first we head to the store in very cold temps. The neighbor down the road said there were people in the ditch and rollovers all along M30 and M61 yesterday. Hopefully the roads are a little better this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment