Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Show Quilt Season

More like rainy, show quilt season. Hazels paddock is a swimming pool. The lake has risen, despite the dam being wide open, and I have all the lights in the house on like it was evening because it's so dark outside. A great day to play with the dogs and to quilt. 

Here's what's on the frame this morning...

Linda's second show quilt
This one is getting A LOT of custom work so will take a few days with the puppy running around my legs; and everywhere else she's not supposed to be.

Since I'm working second shift in here, I'm not getting any time on the sit down machine work. But, that's okay. It's not like I'm on a deadline. It's supposed to be an enjoyable, not a stress-me-out project. 

Here's something disconcerting. I had a customer call last night about a quilt I did for her that was not my best work. At all. And she felt it wasn't either. Everything needs to be ripped out and I am going to have to redo the quilt. Which is fine. I'd rather have something she's proud of and happy to give as a gift rather than cringing every time she looks at it when she's visiting. 

I'm not perfect. Nobody is. And I'll be the first to say "Hey, let's make YOU happy and fix this." Just give me the chance to take care of it and see how things can improve. 

What I learned from that quilt is that a thick top (wool) and a thick batt (wool again) can get a little (actually a lot) weird. Things kept shifting and once getting to one end or the other, puckering occurred. I'm going to put a lower loft batt in the second go around to see if that helps. I just want to make it all better and get it right for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincinnati Bound

Mom and I are heading to Cincinnati today for the weekend. She'll be able to spend Mothers Day weekend with both her kids and see my bro...