Monday, January 5, 2026

Pushing

I love long arming. It's my passion and I enjoy having the quilts come to life with stitches and texture. What I don't like is the pressure. I have people texting me already this morning (not even open yet) wondering where their quilts are. 

When I HAVE to do something, it puts undue pressure on me and what I love to do starts turning into a job; something I have to do because somebody else is dictating when I do it. 

If I haven't called you, your quilt is not done. I'm working as fast as an artist can work and honestly, I was dreading this Monday because I know I have quilts in the queue I've had for far too long and I'm pressured to get them done. 

Which makes me grumpy, irritable, and not wanting to actually get on the machines. My mind tries to push back the stress and fights with me on the pressure, meaning, it's less focused on doing the artistic side of quilting.

And, if I'm being honest, am thinking about not taking any more quilts at all. Yep, I have three machines. Yep, I have the business. Yep, I'm loving what I'm doing. BUT, I don't love the deadlines, the stress of having tops too long in the queue because I feel like I'm letting somebody down by not getting them done fast enough.

Well, here's what I did yesterday...

Finished!
Jim has a puzzle missing a piece on the table right now, and until he finds said piece, the table runner is a little off kilter here. 

It's back to the normal work week and I'll be cranking on a few quilts over the next seven days. I have retreat a week from today but I'll get as much work done as I can to meet expectations for others. I am only one person, and I do have other things I like to do. Remember, you're not the only customer I have, and like you I have a life too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Time in Seven Summers

Yesterday turned out to be a half day of work for me. Jim got home around lunch time towing this behind the truck. Once we got through lunch...