Teachers are life-long learners. I ask a lot of questions, especially when we are making a rather substantial purchase to make sure we are making the right decision(s).
Yesterday we spent most of the day in search of a new washer. Front load? Top load? Stackables? Size? All questions we needed to ask.
The most important thing we learned was that local businesses don't generally keep washers in stock anymore. They have to be ordered. And what is on the floor to look at is minimal right now. Would you buy something that expensive based on a picture?
As much as we support small businesses we ended up at Lowe's and purchased our washer there. They had dozens of models to open, touch, and play with before we made our final decision. And I'm glad we were able to because there are a few features on our current washer I could do without, and there are a few I had to have on the new one.
So, here's what we learned: Washers today are good for about 7-10 years (at the outside) unless you wanted to spend $1400 or more on an industrial model which, not everything would be covered if it died. We didn't purchase the cheapest, but we went low to mid on price, features, and usability.
And...we will receive a $50 credit from Consumers after they pick up our old one. The new washer will be here Monday.
I have to do something with this QR code...
Where does quilting come into all of this? A top-load washer still uses agitation to clean; rubbing fabrics together while swirling water around it. Notice the word 'agitation'. I don't want my quilts agitated. At all. I think making seams go back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth is asking for trouble. We stuck with a front loader in our decision. All the sales people we talked to whole heartedly agreed.We are washing all the rugs/mats and dog things today so if we further wreck our current washer (it is dying) we aren't out anything. I don't want to start right in with the new washer and break it from the opening gate so we are doing our spring washing a little earlier this year.
Did I do anything in the studio yesterday? A little. I did my strip and a scrappy block. I was all set to start in on the last two center pineapple blocks but then I became really sleepy and decided I was going to just relax the rest of the day. It's the weekend. I'm entitled, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment