Wednesday, March 25, 2026

When It's About The Piecing

If a busy quilt top is received into the queue and the customer wants custom work done on it, a look at what I have as a whole is necessary. The quilt I'm currently working is not about my quilting. At all! It's about the piecing. I have to decide how to enhance the customers piecing and not detract from it with the quilting. It's a balancing game. Here's an example...

See anything?
The top half of this block is quilted but can you see anything? No! And you shouldn't. Her appliqué work on this is stunning and I do not want to detract from her efforts. I'm just laying down thread to hold the piece together and not messing with her substantial accomplishments.

I've seen this quilt on-line and found that most long armers are merely doing an edge to edge on this particular pattern. Sadly. It detracts from the overall image(s) and bunches up some of those many layers this quilt has.

Because all of these pieces need to be started and stopped individually, this is taking a long time to quilt but so worth the work!

After working on this all day (and well past quitting time), I moved right over the DW to do my strip. I made a scrappy goodness block after that and then I was in the mood for some paper piecing. 

While I had zero intentions of working all of the third column in Rita, I was having such a good time that I did indeed get the third column completed and attached to columns one and two...

One more column to go
I love to paper piece and this has been fun. There are a lot of teeny, tiny pieces in here so as I'm building it I'm trying to work out how this is going to be quilted. I'm still unsure but it'll come to me when the time comes I'm sure. 

Today will be on Marty all day working on Bernadette's Hometown quilt. And, probably tomorrow as well since it's a slow-going process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Time in Seven Summers

Yesterday turned out to be a half day of work for me. Jim got home around lunch time towing this behind the truck. Once we got through lunch...