Tuesday, August 24, 2021

More Boat Saga

I know, I know. Boat saga has nothing to do with quilting. But, alas, it does. Because when neighbors we hardly see (anymore) come up to "play" with us, we take advantage. I don't get much done in the way of studio work, but I'm getting a whole lot of memories out of it. 

Before taking advantage of the time with neighbors, I did manage to get one of those WIPs worked on and completed quilting Sharon's first quilt. The pic does not have all the rows in it because my design wall isn't that big. 

One of three found WIPs in the retreat bin

We took Rows out again last night. We had a fair amount of difficulty getting her started and had to partially recharge the battery at one point to just get her out on the lake. Everything was going well. It was near sunset and after turning around at the dam and heading back home, the motor shuddered, coughed, and then just died. 

We carry a trolling motor on Rows for just such a possible situation. However, the battery, not being optimally charged, was already compromised. Our trolling motor wasn't breaking any speed records (I could probably swim faster than it was propelling us towards home) and it was taking a toll on the already low battery. We weren't going to make it home before a) the battery died, and b) it got dark. We have no driving lights on the boat and even if we did, that takes battery power as well. 

We had to put in at a friends' house and they ended up bringing us home via car. Rows is still moored at their house this morning and Jim and Mike are going over shortly to try to get her back home, but this makes me cautious about her motor soundness. 

I have a customer coming today around noon-thirty and I have Sharons quilt to get off, trim and load her second one on. I'm am bug bit all over (messing around on our lake bank which is nothing more than brackish waters) and it's supposed to be a hot one today. Once the neighbors leave later I'm going to want to keep in here to get my azimuth pointed back in the right direction. But we'll be talking about our Rows adventures for years to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All Of a Sudden

I looked up yesterday while working and all of a sudden the leaves were starting to pop out, our neighbors apple tree is in full bloom, and ...