Friday, June 17, 2022

What I Do When I'm Frame Ironing

When quilt backs sit in the queue for two months, they have a tendency to get a little, well...wrinkled. Rather than trying to iron them the conventional way (because as soon as I try to load and move them around they're wrinkled again), I frame iron. This takes a little while because drying has to happen between each roll.

I've seen IG and FB posts about this technique; both effective and ineffective. Ineffective because it is a little time consuming. But honestly, so is conventionally ironing the backs. Between each roll, I take that time to do the following because it has to be done anyway despite what technique is used:

1. Clean the long arm. Dust, gook, and threads pile up on the frame bed and have to be cleaned.

2. Clean the bed rails and the truck the head sits on because they accumulate yuck too.

3. Clean the bobbin area out thoroughly. I do a light cleaning with every bobbin change, but this leaves the head clear to give me a better view of the bobbin area. 

4. Select the threads I'm going to use throughout the quilt and the back. 

5. Snug up the invoice a little and make any notes.

6. Select the rulers/tools I'm going to use throughout the quilting process for that particular top. 

7. And if time permits, work on a little piecing of my own.

Here's a little of what's going into the top I'm working right now...

Just a little cheddar feathering

Lucy is feeling much better today, which is a good thing, but it's not. She wants to behave nearly like normal, but she has to stay quiet for a few days more. This could be a challenge. 

I have two customers coming today to pick up and I'll continue on with Jeans quilt. With the high winds in the afternoon and the cuddles Lucy required, it didn't get finished yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not Quite Right

Disappointment is looming over me today. Took the APQS Lenni for a test drive last night and I must say I'm not impressed. The machine i...