Friday, February 9, 2024

Another Rush

I've had another rush that came in late yesterday afternoon. A catalog deadline. Good thing Tina's quilt is finished, huh? Here's a glimpse at the final section as I was removing it from the frame...

Just before taking it off the frame
As I was removing it, I noticed a section that wasn't yet quilted in the body and thankfully I hadn't pulled off the red snappers. It was a quick fix. Once that was done, and while I was removing said snappers, I noticed this...
Can you see what's wrong?
This is what is called the belly bar. It's the bar that takes up the backing and what long armers lean against to stretch across the width of the top while quilting. The cap is practically coming out of the actual bar section and sitting all cattywampus on the slotted groove. As soon as I pulled off the red snappers, the bar crumbled to the ground.

I tried to fix it for a half hour with no success. When Jim finally arrived home, and while Linda was here, he fixed it in about a minute. Of course, he and Caleb were the guys who put the thing together (and have moved it several times). 

In the meantime, I grabbed the extra bar I use when I actually load a top (remember, a few weeks ago?), reversed the leader, and put it in the belly bar spot. It's not as durable and will have to be changed out once I get through Linda's next quilt; which has the backing already loaded (I did that while she was here), but if I'm mindful, it'll work temporarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cincinnati Bound

Mom and I are heading to Cincinnati today for the weekend. She'll be able to spend Mothers Day weekend with both her kids and see my bro...