Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Quilt Retreats

Have you ever been to a quilting retreat? I feel like I need to get away from the long arms for a little bit. My mind and my body say it's time. I'm dealing with wrist and back issues (just minor so far) and my head yesterday was starting to get a little burned out. So, tomorrow I leave for a three day quilting retreat. It's actually four, but we have to head to Lansing on Sunday so I'm cutting the retreat short. 

Here's a little more detail of what went into Keri's quilt...

Love, love, love the texture these quilts get!
I had a guild meeting I should have attended last night up in Oscoda but felt like I needed to stay here and get Keri's quilt done (so I could go to retreat guilt free). It was in the evening I finally shut the machine down. I only have a little more work to go on it this morning and then it's another finish. 

I also need to prep stuff for the retreat. I'm only taking two projects to work on this time (maybe I'll stay more focused). The Cotton Cuts BOM top which needs to have those borders put in, and the twirly (Radiant Suns) top I just spent the last four days cutting out. IF (big "if" there) those don't keep me busy enough, I always have a kit I purchased at Pieces a few weeks ago to play with for Zechariah's next birthday. 

Once I get Keri's quilt off and trimmed, I'll work on Bunny's on Bernie while the backing is being frame ironed for the next top on DW. Haven't a clue what IS next, but I have a few deadlines to look at and see what direction I need to take. 

P.S. I've been told wool batting doesn't have memory. But not all wool battings are alike. The wool I provide to my customers comes off a roll. Here's what happens when you buy pre-packaged wool batting...

Yep, and there was NO smoothing this down either
This was the very top of the batting as I was preparing to load the quilt top itself. I had to pin like crazy to get these to smooth out as much as I could. The rest of the batting was just as bad on the sides and the bottom, so there was no turning it to get away from this situation. Dream [brand] batting is the best if you do have to buy pre-packaged. More lofty and much softer. This was a Hobbs and while I like their other batts, wool is not their strong suit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Morning Studio!

The new studio is now operational. I only have the electrical stuff to plug in (big machines, chargers, rewinder, sewing machines), but ever...